Research Agricultural Engineer
USDA-ARS Northwest Agroecosystem Research Unit
Phone: (509) 335-0960
- 2010, University of Florida, PhD, Electrical and Computer Engineering
- 2007 University of Florida, ME, Agricultural and Biological Engineering
- 2006 University of Florida, BS, Agricultural and Biological Engineering
- 2021-present, Research Agricultural Engineer USDA ARS, Pullman, WA
- 2017-2021, Engineering Consultant, Gainesville, FL
- 2016-2019, Radio Frequency Circuits & Systems Research, Research Assistant Professor
- 2013-2016, UF Chemistry Electronics Shop–Senior Engineer
- 2010-2013, Research Engineer, Conservation and Production Research Laboratory, USDA-ARS
- 2006-2010, Graduate Research Assistant, University of Florida ABE/ECE
Skills and Expertise
- Agricultural Sensor Design
- Remote Sensing
- Machine Learning
- Computer Vision
Role in the CAF-LTAR
Joaquin’s research objectives are to develop sensors and algorithms to help farmers in the Inland Pacific Northwest sustainably intensify their crops. His emphasis is on affordable and accessible methods for wide adoption.
Current Research Projects
- Monitoring water stress using thermal imagery
- UAV imagery to identify pH stress
- Weed identification using UAV imagery
- Improving fertilizer prescriptions using spatiotemporal models and remote sensing
- Radar monitoring of in-season potato growth
- Heineck, G. C., Casanova, J.J., and Porter, L.D. (2022). Suitable Methods of Inoculation and Quantification of Fusarium Root Rot in Lentil. Plant Disease (in press).
- Casanova, J. J., O'Shaughnessy, S. A., Evett, S. R., & Rush, C. M. (2014). Development of a wireless computer vision instrument to detect biotic stress in wheat. Sensors, 14(9), 17753-17769.
- Casanova, J. J., Schwartz, R. C., & Evett, S. R. (2014). Design and field tests of a directly coupled waveguide-on-access-tube soil water sensor. Applied Engineering in Agriculture, 30(1), 105-112.
- Casanova, J. J., Schwartz, R. C., Evett, S. R., & Anderson, S. K. (2013). Directly coupled vs. conventional time domain reflectometry in soils. Applied engineering in agriculture, 29(5), 771-777.
- Casanova, J. J., Evett, S. R., & Schwartz, R. C. (2012). Design and field tests of an access-tube soil water sensor. Applied Engineering in Agriculture,28(4), 603-610
- Casanova, J. J., Evett, S. R., & Schwartz, R. C. (2012). Design of access-tube TDR sensor for soil water content: Testing. Sensors Journal, IEEE,12(6), 2064-2070.
- Casanova, J. J., Evett, S. R., & Schwartz, R. C. (2012). Design of access-tube TDR sensor for soil water content: Theory. Sensors Journal, IEEE,12(6), 1979-1986.