Postdoctoral Research Associate - Climate Hub Fellow
Washington State University
Department of Crop and Soil Sciences
- Washington State University, Postdoctoral Research Associate at Department of Crop and Soil Science (Climate Hub Fellow) - from 21st August 2023.
- Washington State University, Postdoctoral Research Associate at Biological Systems Engineering Department - from 1st January 2023 to 20th August 2023.
- Washington State University, Postdoctoral Research Associate at Civil and Environmental Department - from 1st February 2019 to 31st December 2022.
- Center of Nuclear Energy in Agriculture (Brazil), Postdoctoral Fellowship at Tropical Ecosystems - from April 2016 to January 2019.
- University of Campinas (Brazil), Mentor at Energy System Planning Graduate Program - from 2013 to August 2022.
- Brazilian Biorenewable National Laboratory (Brazil), Associate Researcher - from March 2012 to March 2016.
- University of São Paulo - Luiz de Queiroz College of Agriculture (Brazil), Ph.D. Fellowship in Agricultural Environmental Physics - from March 2008 to August 2011.
- Wageningen University (Netherlands), Ph.D. Fellowship Internship at Centre for Water and Climate - from November 2009 to June 2010 (Study developed in the context of my doctorate at University of São Paulo).
- University of São Paulo - Luiz de Queiroz College of Agriculture (Brazil), M.S. in Agricultural Environmental Physics - from March 2006 to December 2007.
- University of São Paulo - Luiz de Queiroz College of Agriculture (Brazil), B.S. in Agronomist Engineer – from February 1998 to December 2003.
Skills and Expertise
My research interest and expertise are focused on the interdisciplinary soil-plant-atmosphere system, emphasizing crop water use issues with a particular interest in consumptive water estimation in distinct space-temporal scales.
Role in the CAF-LTAR
- Further developing the Flex Cropping model to make predictions based on late-summer weather and soil moisture data of spring crop yields the following year.
- Employing eddy covariance, soil flux chamber, and soil carbon datasets from the Cook Agronomy Farm Long-Term Agro-ecosystem Research (LTAR) site to evaluate greenhouse gas (GHG) calculators for the inland PNW (iPNW) region, including COMET-Farm and OFoot.
- Synthesizing and presenting weather data to aid trend analysis and prediction of conditions impacting field operations, crop growth, and insurance claims.
- Contributing to an Adaptation Workbook for iPNW agriculture.
Current Research Projects
Fruit & Vegetable Supply Chains: Climate Adaptation & Mitigation Opportunities (status: drafting a paper)
Integrating agricultural water use for extreme weather management into climate change impact assessments (status: final report drafting)
- Scarpare, F.V.; Zotelli, L.C.; Barizon, R.; Castro, S.G.Q.; Bezerra, A.H.B. Leaching runoff fractions for nitrate and herbicides on sugarcane fields: Implication for Grey Water Footprint. Sustainability. 15:6990, 2023. https://doi.org/10.3390/su15086990
- Yourek, M.; Liu, M.; Scarpare, F.V.; Rajagopalan, K.; Malek, K.; Boll, J.; Huang, M.; Chen, M.; Adam, J.C. Downscaling global land-use/cover change scenarios for regional analysis of food, energy, and water subsystems. Front. Environ. Sci. 11:1055771, 2023. https://doi.org/10.3389/fenvs.2023.1055771
- Scarpare, F.V.; Rajagopalan, K.; Liu, M.; Nelson, R.L.; Stöckle, C.O. Evapotranspiration of irrigated crops under warming and elevated atmospheric CO2: what is the direction of change? Atmosphere, v.13(163), 2022. https://doi.org/10.3390/atmos13020163
- Scarpare, F.V.; Jong van Lier, Q.; Camargo, L.; Pires, R.C.M.; Ruiz-Corrêa, S.T.; Gava, G.J.C.; Bezerra, A.H.F.; Dias C.T.S. Tillage assessment on soil physical properties associated with sugarcane water availability. Soil & Tillage Research, v.187, p.110-118, 2019. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.still.2018.12.005
- Scarpare, F.V.; Hernandes, T.A.D.; Ruiz-Corrêa, S.T.; Kolln, O.T.; Gava, G.J.C.; Santos, L.N.S.; Victoria, R.L. Sugarcane water footprint under different management practices in Brazil: Tietê/Jacaré watershed assessment. Journal of Cleaner Production, v. 112, p. 4576-4584, 2016. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2015.05.107